Saturday, June 08, 2013

Booking a Dhow Cruise exclusively for your party - Part 1



This may sound like an amazing way to have a party. I thought so too, when I was searching for a venue to have a party with some close friends in Dubai who would not have been able to attend my wedding in the UK. A colleague sent me a website she came across for a Dhow Cruise company, I gave them a call and while the guy I spoke to was quite vague about everything, he seemed efficient since I got an email very quickly after our conversation. He said the finer details would all be sorted out closer to the time. He told me I could have up to 110 on the boat – I said it would be 50-65 (This will become relevant) He said that was perfect since I had to pay for 65. So my party was booked within 20 minutes.

Four days to go and I hadn’t heard a word from this man including the food that would be served (I had mentioned that a lot of us would be vegetarian) and whether I could have my own music etc. Also, I wanted to make clear that I didn’t want a cheesy belly dancer or any of that sort of thing.

The conversation was completely not what I was expecting. As we spoke, it turned out the air-conditioned part of the boat was specifically for 50 people. This put me in a massive panic, since it would mean 15 of my guests would have to be outside in the 35 degree heat- Our conversation was as follows after that- I HAD to make a record of it because this guy seemed crazy:

Me: “Why was I not informed of this before? If you had informed me, I would have only invited 50 people or less. You could have said that I had to pay for 65 but could only have 50 in the AC section or at least made me aware in some way”

Him: “Why didn’t you ask me? You said you wanted 65 people and we can accommodate up to 110”

Me (My voice raised slightly): “I didn’t know I HAD to ask, I assumed you would use common sense and realise I wouldn’t want 15 people out in the heat”

Him (Shouting): “How dare you speak to me like that? Its your party, you should know what questions to ask.”

Me (Quite Irate now): “Well, sorry, but I had no idea that you would be incompetent. I think you need to realise that you’re speaking to someone who has organised events before, and for someone in your position, you have been extremely derelict. I also don’t appreciate your rude manner, when YOU have made a mistake. I am losing my patience now”

Him: “ Don’t be rude to me. DO NOT speak to me like that!” (I had an image of Rumplestiltskin stamping his foot at this point)

Me: “What are you talking about? You are the one being rude, I need to know what to do with my 15 guests and you haven’t even contacted me once prior to this to even discuss payment”

Him: “I AM NOT YOUR SERVANT! DO NOT BE RUDE TO ME. I DON’T CARE ABOUT YOUR GUESTS”

Me: “Okay, we clearly have a communication issue, you are seriously unhinged. Give me your manager’s contact details, I no longer wish to deal with you”

Him: “Fine, I’ll put you on to my boss”

His boss turned out to be a nice lady called Pooja, who was very patient despite me at this point wanting to blow a gasket.

Awkward! The guy then called me back and said I was like his sister and that he was sorry for the communication issue, he sent me the menu, arranged to collect payment and then gave me a few solutions- we finally decided to make the AC section accommodate up to 60 people, which works out ok. I was extremely confused.

Anyway, the party is in 4 days, I will update!

Also, the school fees post is coming! I cant believe how long I haven't done a post!

No comments: