Monday, April 02, 2012

Racism in Dubai


I have written and re-written this post so many times now, I have lost count. The issue is I haven’t been able to find a balance between people who feel they have been picked on in parts of Dubai because of their colour/ nationality and others who feel like this ‘racism’ is used by people who are over-sensitive and even bigoted themselves.

So, this is my final draft of this post, everything that I’d written previously has been scrapped; make of it what you will.

Many of the people who wrote to me about the incidents of racism they felt had been directed toward them wrote in because they felt the need to highlight an injustice.

I am South African, I grew up in the latter part of apartheid; I remember bits of racist behaviour directed toward me during this time, but mostly I remember the feelings of helplessness my parents talked about. They knew they weren’t any different, they knew they were sometimes smarter than people who got jobs ahead of them, they knew that carrying around a dompas was against their human rights. Even so, there was nothing they could do. Racism is one of the worst forms of injustice and its definitely something we should all look to remove from our lives and from within ourselves. Who are we to judge someone based on their colour?

To know more about Apartheid in South Africa, see the links below.






So many colleagues and friends have mentioned they had been subject to racism in Dubai, that I felt it necessary to dedicate a post to the subject. Here in the UAE, it’s even more difficult to find a balance because of the more than 200 nationalities that live here. For some reason, instead of embracing the variety in the cultures here, most people promote classist attitudes and stereotyping.

If anything we should use the unique opportunity that we have here to promote unity.

Of course, this needs to also come from the highest levels. It is a tough bullet to bite when I know certain colleagues earn less than me because they are from a poor Arab country or the subcontinent.  It’s similarly difficult to forget that my South African colleagues are seen as cheap labour- despite the South African education system being far better than the British one. (This is my honest opinion, and having studied in both countries I am allowed to make this judgement.)

We should be judged on our abilities not our nationalities and it is something we should promote. People should be judged by their ability and not their colour. 

When I told people I was writing this post, I had dozens of emails with stories (thank you to everyone who sent me your stories, apologies if yours isn’t in here)

I’ve compiled some of the stories I was told, below. There are far too many to go into. Make your own judgements into whether or not they are racist.

A white colleague told me that during the US elections, he met a liberal-looking white American couple who live in the UAE…when he asked them if they would vote for Barack Obama and they  replied no, because: “Helllooooo, he’s black.”

I got an email from a girl- Gulf Arab- and because she was in traditional dress in Apres which I believe is a restaurant that serves alcohol in Mall of the Emirates, she was asked to leave. She felt ostracised, especially because they didn’t stop her when she walked in, and there were men in traditional dress in there too who were not asked to leave.

I decided to definitely write this post after an Indian colleague told me about her experience at the Dubai nightclub Malecon. She had booked a table for her and a few family members. They were told by the bouncer they could not enter because one of them was dressed with a traditional Indian top. After some argument, they were finally told they could enter as long as they left by midnight. I haven’t actually contacted Malecon to ask for their side of their story but this does seem to happen quite a lot across the clubs in Dubai and I’ve included another story below.

Boudoir is another club in Dubai and an Indian colleague who went there with a group of friends says they were turned away because of an apparent lack of reservation. This was minutes after the same bouncers allowed two girls, who were not Indian, into the venue and who didn't have a reservation. Also, when the group called friends who were in the club already- they said they hadn't needed a reservation which is what led them to believe the bouncers were racist.

Being an outsider to the stories above, it’s hard for me to distinguish whether or not the incidents were racist. But in my experience, people know when something is genuine or when someone is using their power for their own bigoted gain. Of course, in the first story, the American couple were clearly disapproving of Barack Obama because of his colour and one has to wonder about how they go about dealing with the 200 plus nationalities they presumably interact with on a daily basis.

Another colleague of mine from New Zealand wrote me a long email with regards to this post, bits of which I agree with. However, I think it brings up an interesting point that I’ve heard many tout. I will end this post on an excerpt from that email.

“Given the choice most people generally gravitate towards socializing with their own race. When a bunch of people from the same race get together, it is usually a safe environment to have a ‘bitch’ about another race. Which is unhealthy – but unfortunately true in many cases. The thing I find most alarming is the fact that people are just as rude an unaccommodating to their own race as they are any other. Racism is often the scapegoat that is used to describe the fact that a lot of people get treated badly here. The fact is Dubai is filled with rude and self-important selfish people. The people that are often identified as the most racist, I don’t believe it’s a race thing – I think that they just believe they are the most important people here.”

1 comment:

Ryan said...

While I agree with some parts here I must say I disagree also.

I am Australian. Everytime I say this to someone they ask me where I am from originally. My great, great grandma came from Finland and I have no idea where my other relatives come from. Why would I wonder? I am Australian. My friends in Australia are from so many other nations if you trace their lineage. From Vietnam to Lebanon etc - but they are Australian. Why is it different here? Because we still define people by their lineage.

My son was born in Dubai. Will he ever be considered Emirati? No. Why? Because this will not be recognised locally, which is a shame. Why is your lineage an issue here? Let me leave the Emirati side of this for now and look at the broader Dubai.

We pay by nationality? There is another side to this arguement also and that is around simple economics of supply and demand. The local labor market here pays what would make you move to the Emirates. For me, this is less about race and more about economics. Do I agree with it? Yes and No.

Mixed families. I love it when I see a family or a couple of mixed nationalities. It gives me hope that people have overcome all these hurdles in the pursuit of their relationships.

Perceptions. This is where I do have issues. How many times do you hear an issue and then someone asks what nationality they are? It should make no difference. So why do we entertain these conversations? The best way here is to celebrate what we like about nationalities. And the best way to do this is through food!

I know I have rambled on a bit here but as an Australian in Dubai I have no other Australian friends. All my friends here are from a variety of nationalities. From Scotland, Pakistan, Phillipines etc. I love the fact that I can learn so much about the world and that my kids will have that same understanding of other countries also. Until we celebrate the positives of multiculturalism - we will be stuck on the negatives.