Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Moving to the UAE



Hello! 

This blog is intended to help people moving to the country or people who have just moved to the country go about your way with minimal difficulty. Most expats that arrive in the UAE have to go through motions blindly. This lack of understanding (mainly due to a hundred different and mostly incorrect reasons given for doing them ) makes everything more difficult than it needs to be. Having lived here and worked in an industry that allows me to become embroiled in the bureaucracy myself, I hope I can help you navigate through the maze of inconvenience.

So here, all in one place is a list of things you need to know before moving over.

Below, you will find list of some of the topics I plan to cover and after that a short write up on how to get a sim card, which is probably the first thing you should do when you land.

Other topics I plan to cover shortly are below.

Your Working Rights (Some of these laws like the maternity work law are changing so they are in limbo.)
Visa Medical Test
Using Public Transport Vs Car
Getting DEWA/ SEWA/ ADEWA (Water and Electricity)
Housing Fees (A sort of municipality tax)
Getting a home Du/ Etisalat account
Converting Your Driver’s license
Getting An Emirates ID card
E-Gate card (changed my life!)
What to do after a Car Crash- minor crashes happen here more often than you think
Living with your partner, Gay couples and Home-sharing
Paying Fines
Registering your car
Salik Toll
Organic Foods
Getting a PO Box
Maternity Leave-45 days including weekends, is it now 2 months?
Football Matches, concerts, things to do (Will be updated as and when)
Dealing with Customer Service People (Trust me, you will need to read this before coming here, if only to keep your sanity)



To start with, I’ll update this blog every Friday. I will also be happy to answer questions you may have or if I don’t have the answers, to find them out for you. 

I would also appreciate if you would let me know if there is something in here that you don’t understand or don’t agree with.  Also, if there is something you think should be included, please let me know and I’ll put it up.

Until then, welcome to the sun, sand and constant holiday atmosphere UAEans call home.



All views are my own as are any opinions I express on newspapers, companies, people etc.

No comments: